1 Orientation, Introduction, the RLOE Framework, and Your Strategic Plan
We are excited to begin this journey together! We start by introducing a few tools (that you may or may not be familiar with) that will prepare you to engage with colleagues and materials over the next few weeks in asynchronous spaces.
These are the tools we will use:
- OEG Connect
- Google Docs
As you work through Learning Area 1, if you need help getting started with any of the platforms or if you need other technical support, we are here to help:
- EMAIL us: Both Kim or Karen are available to help and can send up a quick individual Zoom with you to touch base.
- EMAIL your assigned collaborator for guidance.
- POST in OEG Connect: Post your questions or issues in the Technical Questions or Issues thread in OEG Connect. (see below for more information on how to join OEG connect). We will monitor this thread closely, May 27-May 31, 2022.
- **IMPORTANT NOTE: You must be logged into OEG Connect in order for the link to work and take you directly to the discussion thread.
- Access to and exploration of various open tools for online teaching, learning, and collaborating
- Increased familiarity and comfort using tools for asynchronous learning and collaborating
MAY 27-31: Asynchronous Activities
1.1 Get acquainted with the power of social annotation as a learning practice. We will be using Hypothes.is, a free and openly licensed platform for annotating any text online publicly or in small groups. We have created a small, private group called RLOE Network. We will hold asynchronous conversations about texts we are reading in this space. More directions follow.
- Go to the Hypothes.is website, create an account and install the extension; watch this Hypothes.is tutorial video to see how to do it. The google chrome browser works best for Hypothes.is [Note that we will be annotating in our RLOE group, not public, as in this example.]
- Then join the RLOE Hypothes.is Group. Click on the Log in to join RLOE Network button. If you do not have an account, then you can create one from the Log In page.
- Please note: If you are already logged into Hypothes.is, you will automatically be taken to our RLOE Network Group when you click the link above.
1.2 We will be using OEG Connect for our discussions. Several questions will be provided in the Connect and Discuss section of our website. Answer all the questions for yourself but only post about the one question that appears on OEG Connect site.
Need More Help?
- Here is a quick OEG tutorial Video.
- There is also a Technical Questions or Issues thread that you can post to if you’ve having trouble with hypothes.is or have other tech questions. Please don’t be shy about posting!
1.3 We will be using Google Docs for you to draft your institutional strategic plan.
- Make a copy of this Strategic Plan Template and rename it to: ‘Your College/University Open Education Strategic Plan Draft’.
- The strategic plan drafts will be kept in our shared Strategic Plans RLOE Cohort 3 Folder so that all collaborators and participants can provide feedback.
NOTE: If you are new to Google, the following two short tutorials may be very helpful:
MAY 31: Optional Tech Help Session
Optional Zoom Session
TUES, MAY 31, 2-4:30 pm EASTERN
Find your time zone
Topics: Orientation, OEG Connect, Google Drive, Zoom